26/04/2012

Blog 5: #tmbolton

I have just returned home from the extremely impressive ESSA Academy in Bolton where I participated in TeachMeet- an gathering of teachers and educators who are keen to share and steal new ideas and innovations.

For an overview of the event please read Simon Haughton's excellent blog.

The venue itself was awe inspiring, totally different to any educational establishment I have ever been in.  Clear walls, green views from most rooms, no smartboards/ projectors, a 4D studio, in which pupils can perform alongside video images, interactive PE rooms and Apple TV in every room.  Why Apple TV?  Apple TV because every staff member is equipped with an iPad and the ability to create exciting and engaging content, iBooks for example.  This means that any staff member can transmit their iPad's image/ content to any of the connected TVs or screens.  (See my earlier blog for ideas on how to use iPads).
(image courtesy of Essaacademy.org)
Not only this, but each pupil is given an iPod touch (something I am keen to provide) so that Internet content is readily available, as are video/ image/ audio recording and other useful apps.  Parents contribute £15 to cover insurance.

It all looks very inspirational and idyllic (for me anyway), but it'd take a brave (and well funded) primary school to embrace this technology to the level it has been embraced at ESSA.

Back to #teachmeet

The format was excellent.  Anyone who wanted to share good practice had exactly 7 minutes to do so.  When the time was up, they were off!  I will definitely try this with my own colleagues at school.

So what will I be trying out?

Hopefully I will be able to try out nearly everything I have seen.  Not just for the sake of it, but because it all had a positive, engaging effect on the pupils and enhanced teaching/ learning.

  • We will be joining in with the 100 Word Challenge (www.100wc.net) thanks to Julia Skinner
  • I look forward to collaborating in real time using www.livewriting.net and cover it live, Cherise Duxbury
  • Will I try learning the ukelele with my class?  Why not!! Thanks to JC Sheffield
  • Pete Rafferty has shared a great idea- technology takeover day- allow kids to bring in their devices from home
  • Thanks to Simon Haughton we have access to a fantastic History Encyclopedia (www.history.parkfield.co.uk) and excellent resources to accompany on his blog
  • I will be trialling Apple TV in my class room next year
Anything I try out will be shared.

There was SO much to take in!  If you can make it, please go next year.  It's the best CPD i've been on in ages, and it was FREE!

Massive thank you to @deputymitchell and @dughall for organising.

1 comment:

  1. Many thanks for the mention Chris & I look forward to your entries!!

    ReplyDelete